Toghu Traditional Regalia Of The Northwest region Of Cameroon
Toghu Traditional Wear
The word Toghu or Atoghu as sometimes called by people refers to the traditional regalia of the northwest region of Cameroon. Before now the toghu outfit was not so popular among the commoners because it was mostly worn by royals and considered as an outfit meant for royalty.
Special luxury designs were made for Cheifs, kingmakers and the rest of the royal family members. These special toghu designs were not available to the commoner because they were made for people of a certain royal class. This is no longer the case as modernity has made all designs of the toghu fashion available to everyone, Tho it is still prohibited to wear certain designs in some places.
How the Toghu outfit is made
The original toghu wear has the following characteristics:
1. It is embroidered by hand using knitting thread.
2. It was made using the Velvet fabric mostly black.
3. The thread colours are usually red, white, yellow, orange, green,
4. Traditional articles and objects such as the gong, calabash, spider, Lizard etc are hand-embroidered on it.
5. It is made with a cap for men and a scarf for women.
Modern-day toghu outfits are made using a variety of fabrics other than the velvet and are available in so many designs. We now have toghu beach wears, toghu sexy wears, party wears and so much more.
Toghu fabrics are now one of the most popular trends in toghu fashion. These are printed fabrics with the toghu design on it, These fabrics can be bought and sewn by anyone and needs no hand embroidery. To see and purchase these toghu fabrics just click on the fabric category on our site.